Monday, October 13, 2014

I'm Exhausted and I Feel Like Crying

Like everyone else, I LOVE my kids.  They each have their own personalities and can be funny, cute, adorable, annoying, loud, sad, angering...you pick the emotion, it's there.  But on any given day I, being my own person, can feel tired, irritable, grumpy...you get the idea.  Here's the problem - put the wrong combination together, let's say child=irritating and me=irritable, and we are headed for disaster.

I do my best to find balance between being the best Mom I can be (not the best Mom in the world), and keeping up with all the other things in my life that demand attention - keeping the house clean (some days I can only laugh), keeping the schedule straight, keeping in touch with hubby, keeping the bills from piling up too high, etc.  You get the idea.

As we grow in learning to care for our children, we are finding that, no matter what you do for them, they are never happy.  Well, sometimes it just seems that way.  Overall, my kids are pretty happy - not only are they provided with adequate food, clothing, also shelter, they also have many things they don't NEED (like, toys).  That is all good, but we are a family that focuses less on "things" and more on "experiences" for lifelong happiness and memories.  Just seems like in these circumstances, the instant gratification factor is gone.

For example, you're at a store and your child wants a toy - you buy it for them, and they are happy, right?  On the other hand, we go to a farm and visited the petting zoo, checked out all the different pumpkins, got to play in the hay maze and ride the wagon/hay ride.  But the ONE thing we DIDN'T get to do has now ruined our day, and they are miserable, and I am feeling like it wasn't worth it, and it doesn't make me look forward to doing anything else with them.  Even though overall it was a great day, this is about the time when I feel like crying because I am losing my cool.  So what am I doing wrong here?  It seems they are still expecting more, more, more.  I have never been a parent who gives in to this sort of thing, so when will they learn to be happy with what we have (or have done)?  HELP!

What really needs to happen here is to take some deep breaths, remember they are kids, stick to my guns, and be consistent - eventually they will get it.  This is just not the time.  But it doesn't mean we need to stop doing fun things with them. In fact, I believe it is the opposite.  We need to keep enjoying experiences as a family and they will finally get it.  Don't you remember when you were in your early 20's and FINALLY appreciated your parents and all they had done for and with you?  Yes.  My day is coming - I just have to be patient and keep going. Easier said then done.

No comments:

Post a Comment