Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Preparing for Disaster - Saving Your Family's Memories

If you are anything like me, you are attached to less "things" and more "experiences".  So if we were to have a disaster, say, a flood or fire in our home, there is only one thing I would be DEVASTATED to lose...our family photos.

I love to scrapbook, so I am a big "picture" person.  I take pictures of just about every activity we do so we can remember all the fun things we've done as a family.  Even more important, I want my kids to remember the fun times we've had.  These precious memories mean so much to me and I do my best to preserve them.  But in a flood or fire, they could be gone forever.  Whether you take lots of photos or just a few, it is worth your time to protect them.

I decided to back-up the pictures.  Sure, they won't look the same as my fun and beautiful scrapbooks,  but at least the memories will not be gone.  Start by organizing and renaming photos by date & activity.  I separate mine into folders by year, because i have so many.  Don't forget to create a  "Random" folder for each year for those photos that are really not related to anything in particular, but are worth keeping.  Depending on how many photos you have, group them together (however many will fit on a CD) and save to CD.  Find a special place to keep them.  I like the idea of keeping them near the front door (so you can grab them on the way out).  You can also make a 2nd copy and keep them in a Safety Deposit box at the bank or at a friend or family member's house.  That way, if something happens to your house, they are being held in a different location.

Upload photos to a website like Shutterfly or Snapfish, or one of the many other similar sites.  Pick one that has no storage limit and will allow you to store them indefinitely.  Also, pick a reputable one that you can count on to be there for years.  This takes some time to upload the photos and keep them organized, but if your computer dies, you can log on from anywhere as long as you remember the password.

Facebook is another place where you can keep your photos organized, however, you need to remember a couple of things.  You will need to be aware of the settings on your account so you know who is able to see your photos.  Also, Facebook has rights to use any photos you post, so don't post anything you will regret if it gets out.


If you have lots of information and memories you want to write to accompany your photos, and maybe want to share the photos and what you've written with specific people, setting up a private, non-money-making blog.  Again, you an share with you whom want, or you don't have to share at all.  You can also log-on from anywhere, so no matter what happens to your computer, you can still get to them.

If you have any other ideas, please share with my audience.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment