Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Grumpy Me - Pessimism - Be Nice

Well, this morning I woke up with a pounding headache after not enough sleep, so I am trying my best not to be grumpy.  I try and try to look at the good side of things, but it's just so hard because it is easier (and more fun, sometimes) to be a pessimist.  Although I do HATE that about myself (only a pessimist would say that).

I realized how selfish AND pessimistic I am when I recently saw a news headline regarding Obama pushing for paid maternity leave.  I SHOULD think "Oh good!  This is good for all humanity!"  But no.  Instead, without even reading the article, I can only think "Yeah, NOW they do it...after I already had my 3 kids."

Why is it such hard work to be happy?  I feel like I have to work at it.  All day long, it seems like things don't work in my favor, and of course I blow them out of proportion.  God forbid I drop something 3 times in 1 day - and it just means I have having the worst day of my life. 

Who are these people who are SUPER happy all the time, with a smile on their faces?  I admit, I am envious of those people.  All the while I am wondering if that is how they truly feel or are they covering something up?  I read one of those Facebook posts that said you should be nice to everyone you meet because they are most likely fighting a battle you know nothing about.  I think that is true.  Some worse than others, but no one has a REALLY carefree life, do they?

And if we can nice to strangers most of the time, why can't we be THAT nice to our own family members MOST of the time?  I don't believe the people who say they "never fight with their spouse".  Again, my pessimistic side is coming out...but I think the idea of never disagreeing with your significant other means you don't talk about things the way you should, and you must have bigger issues.  Stop avoiding conflict and voice your opinion.  My husband and I argue about things, but what really matters is HOW we argue - respectfully - and that we work together to come up with a resolution.  That makes us a great team.  No relationship is all flowers and rainbows all the time.

One time I heard someone say "I love you, but I don't always love the things you do."  I thought it was genius because it is so true.  Word to the wise - don't say it to your significant other.  I tried that once with all good intentions...to let him know I didn't agree with him but I still loved him.  I don't think he interpreted it that way.   Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment