Monday, September 29, 2014

Kids, Sleep, Schedules

Since I have 3 children between the ages of 1 and 6, I laughed when I read a magazine article about the sleeping requirements for children.  I don't remember it word-for-word, but I do remember the article telling me that kids ages 3-6 years old should get 12 hours sleep, and in order to ensure a quality sleep, they should not eat for 3 hours before bedtime.

Right now my kids are in bed around 7:15pm and wake-up around 6am (about 10 hours and 45 minutes).  Not quite 12 hours, but not bad, right?   Well, in order to go to bed at that time, and not eat for 3 hours before, they would have to finish dinner by 4:15pm.  That's not going to happen.  We aim to eat dinner between 5pm and 5:30pm, and that is considered "early" for most people.  I did some additional research:

Although this is not the article I originally read, according to WebMD:

"1-3 Years Old: 12 - 14 hours per day
As your child moves past the first year toward 18-21 months of age he will likely lose his morning and early evening nap and nap only once a day. While toddlers need up to 14 hours a day of sleep, they typically get only about 10.
Most children from about 21 to 36 months of age still need one nap a day, which may range from one to three and a half hours long. They typically go to bed between 7 and 9 p.m. and wake up between 6 and 8 a.m.

3-6 Years Old: 10 - 12 hours per day
Children at this age typically go to bed between 7 and 9 p.m. and wake up around 6 and 8 a.m., just as they did when they were younger. At 3, most children are still napping, while at 5, most are not. Naps gradually become shorter as well. New sleep problems do not usually develop after 3 years of age."

At this stage in the game, I must leave for work before the bedtime routine starts most nights, so my husband handles that (a GREAT husband, I know!).  And although I know several people whose kids stay up much later than 7:15pm, we can't do it - in all honestly, bedtime can't come soon enough.  WE NEED A BREAK from the kids, and we need to have some adult time or quiet alone time for other hobbies or to just relax.

Where do you stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment